- Ph.D. in Accounting from University of Manchester, England, U.K. 1988
- M.A. Econ. (Prel.) in Accounting –University of Manchester, U.K.1985
Professor Sheikh F. Rahman joined ADU in August 2013. His previous positions include Professor of Accounting and Finance at Central Queensland University (CQU), Associate Professor of Accounting, PhD Program Director, MBA Program Director and Research Coordinator in the Australian Graduate School of Entrepreneurship at Swinburne University of Technology, Senior Lecturer in Accounting at Monash University, Lecturer of Accounting at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Sydney and University of Waikato in New Zealand, Chair of School Research Committee, and Chair of MBA Curriculum Review Committee (Swinburne University and United Arab Emirates University). He is also an experienced business consultant who provides effective cost management, financial and investment planning, risk management and tax advisory services to a number of SME companies.
Professor Sheikh Rahman is an experienced Doctoral supervisor who has successfully supervised 10 Ph.D., 1 DBA and 12 Masters candidates to timely completion. He is also a highly effective classroom teacher who can comfortably teach across a wide range of subjects in Financial Accounting, Advanced Corporate Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Governmental Accounting, International Accounting, Accounting Theory, Corporate Governance, Oil and Gas Accounting, Corporate Finance and Investment and Risk Management.
His Doctoral research at the University of Manchester explored the phenomenon of power in international accounting regulations as it was played out in the United Nations from 1970 to 2000. He has significant articles published in tier one journals such as, the Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal (A* category), and ABACUS (A category). He was awarded "Best Author" awards from the London based journal rating agency, ANBAR Electronic Intelligence Group and from the Journal of American Academy of Business.
Areas of Competence
- Proven track record as an excellent Professor at both Graduate and Undergraduate levels.
- Well acclaimed research publications in A and A* journals with excellent international recognition
- Two times winner of Best Author Awards from two international journals
- Established record and reputation as an experienced Ph.D. Supervisor
- Brilliant academic results throughout the career.
- Unique leadership skills as Director of MBA Program and Director of PhD Program at prior work places.
- Excellent communication skills – oral and written
- Active involvement with key business and industry groups and international professional bodies
- Effective mentor for both students and faculty
- Professor of Accounting, College of Business Administration, ADUAugust 2013 - Now
- Professor of Accounting and Finance, Central Queensland University, Melbourne, Australia June 2007 - August 2013
- Associate Professor, Swinburne University of Technology Melbourne, AustraliaJuly 1998 - June 2007
Research & Scholarly activities
INTERNATIONAL REFEREED PUBLICATIONS: (latest to the earliest)
- Rahman, S. F., (with Bepari, K. and Mollik, A.), 'Firms' compliance with the disclosure requirements of IFRS for goodwill impairment testing: effect of the global financial crisis and other firm characteristics. Journal of Accounting and Organizational Change, London. Accepted in 2013 for publication in 2014. 2014
- Rahman, S. F., (with Bepari, K.), Relative and incremental value relevance of earnings and cash flow from operations during the global financial crisis (GFC) and pre-crisis periods (PCP), Review of Accounting and Finance, USA. Volume 12, Issue 3 (August) 2013, pp. 226 – 251. 2013
- Rahman, S. F., (with Ali M. L.), 'Price and Exchange rate Impact on Australian Coking Coal Export: An Empirical Analysis.' International Journal of Business Research, Vol. 12 (2012) No. 1, pp. 154–170.2012
- Rahman, S. F., (with Khondaker, M. R.,), 'Entrepreneurship Needs and Achievement Motivations of Descendant Latin-Japanese Entrepreneurs in Japan.' International Journal of Entrepreneurship, Vol. 15 (2012), pp. 99–119.2012
- Rahman, S. F., (with Ali M. L.), Title: 'Investigation of the Relationship of Australian Dollar Exchange rate, Australian Steam Coal Export and Steam Coal Price.' Journal of Asia-Pacific Business, Vol. 14 (2012), Issue 3.2012
- Rahman, S. F., (with Ali M. L.), Title: 'Influence of Australian Coal Export on A$/US$ Exchange Rate: A Longitudinal Study.' International Business and Economic Research Journal, Vol. 11 (2012), No. 4, pp. 397-406.2012
- Rahman, S. F., (with Ali M. L.), Title: 'Investigation of the Relationship between Australian Steam Coal Export and Australian Steam Coal Price.' Review of Business Research, Vol. 12 (2012), No. 1, pp. 102-114.2012
- Rahman S. F., (With Ali, M.L.), 'Price and Exchange rate Impact on Australian Coking Coal Export: An Empirical Analysis' Proceedings of the IABE-2012 Key West Winter Conference, Key West, Florida, USA , 9-11 March 20122012
- Rahman, S. F., (with Khondaker, M.R.), Accounting Practices, Reporting Requirements and Translation of Financial Statements: A Research Framework on Japanese MNCs in Australia, Nanzan Management Review, Japan, Vol. 25, No. 1-2, October 2010.2011
- Rahman S. F., (With Islam, K.), 'Causes and Methods of Accounting Manipulation in Australia: A Post-mortem of HIH Insurance', Proceedings of the American Accounting Association (AAA) Forensic and Investigative Accounting Section, Mid-year Conference, Louisiana State University, baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA, May 7-8, 2011. 2011
- Rahman S. F., (With Wan Zuriati wan Zakaria and Elsayed, M.O.), 'The impact of E-accounting on Related task performance Outcomes: Evidence from Malaysia', Proceedings of the 5th International Conference of the Asian Academy of Applied Business, Pnom Penh, Cambodia, 9-10 June 2011.2011
- Rahman S. F., (With Ali, M.L.), 'Price Impact on Australian Steam Coal Export: An Empirical Analysis' Proceedings of the International Business Research Conference, Sydney, Australia. 21-23 November, 2011.2011
- Rahman S. F., (With Khokan Bepari and Abu Mollik), Compliance with IFRS for Goodwill Impairment test and Firm Characteristics Affecting It, Proceedings of the American Accounting Association (AAA) Annual Conference, Denver, Colorado, USA , 6-10 August 2011.2011
- Rahman S. F., (with Khondaker, M.R., El-Sayed, M., and Haque, Z.), Financial Statements, Creative Accounting, and Roles of Auditors: The Case of Bangladesh, Proceedings of the British Accounting Association (BAA) Annual Conference, Cardiff, South Wales, UK, 30 March-1 April, 2010, 2010
- Rahman S. F., (with Khondaker, M.R., and El-Sayed, M), Japanese Foreign Direct Investment to Australia: An Assessment of Current Performance, Causes and Prospects, Proceedings of the Oxford Business and Economics Conference, Oxford University, UK, 27-30 June 2010.2010
- Rahman, S. F., (with Hossari, G and Ratnatunga, J.), An Empirical Evaluation of Sampling Controversies in Ratio-Based Modeling of Corporate Collapse, Journal of Applied Research in Accounting and Finance (JARAF), Volume 2, Issue 2, 2007, pp. 15 – 26.2007
- Rahman, S. F. (with Ortqvist, D., Masli, E. K., and Selvarajah, C.), 'Determinants of Capital Structure in New Ventures: Evidence from Swedish Longitudinal Data'. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, USA, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 277 – 296.2006
- Rahman, S. F. (with Hossari, G.), Empirical Evidence from the Corporate Collapse Literature Suggesting Re-examination of Accounting Standards in Relation to Valuation of Assets, International Journal of Business Research, USA, (Vol. 3, Number 1), pp. 141 – 149. 2005
- Rahman, S.F. (with Hossari, G.), 'A comprehensive Formal Ranking of the Popularity of Financial Ratios in Multivariate Modeling of Corporate Collapse'. The Journal of American Academy of Business, Cambridge, USA, Vol. 6, No.1, (March 2005) - Winner of Best Author Award.2005
- Jones, S., Rahman, S.F, and Wolnizer, P., (2004), 'Accounting Reform in Australia: Contrasting Cases of Agenda Building'. ABACUS, London, (Vol.40, no.3, October) pp.379-404.2004
- Hossari, G., and Rahman, S. F., Connection Between Commonly Used Financial Ratios and Misrepresentation of Financial Statements of collapsed corporations, Proceedings of the Global Business and Finance Research Conference, London (June)2004
- Rahman, S, F., (2004), 'Systematic Vs. Unsystematic Risk in Venture Capital Investment'. The Business Review, Cambridge, USA, (Vol. 1, NO. 2, March 2004) pp. 86-94.2004
- Rahman, S. F., (with Fan, K.), Evaluation of the Credit Rating Agencies Assessing Country Risk. Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on Business, USA (June)2003
- Rahman, S.F., (with Jones, S.), Australia's International Harmonization Drive: A case in Political Agenda Building, Published in the Proceedings of the Sixth Interdisciplinary Perspectives in Accounting (IPA) Conference, Manchester, England, Volume five, paper #5.14 (July).2000
- Rahman, S.F., and Jones, S., The Legacy and Legitimacy of the IASC as a Global Accounting Standard-Setter: Some Questions and Concerns, published in Peyvandi, A. and B. Tai (eds.), Proceedings of the Tenth Asian Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues, Maui, Hawaii, USA, (October)1999
- Rahman, S.F., International Accounting Regulation by the United Nations: A power Perspective. Accounting, auditing and Accountability Journal (AAAJ), London, Volume 11, No.5, 1999, pp. 593-623 (International Award winning paper).1999
- Rahman, S.F., and Holland, B., "Rio' Earth Summit 1992 and Accounting Agenda 21", published in the Proceedings of the Second International Perspectives in Accounting (IPA) Conference, Manchester University, England (July)1993
- Rahman, S.F., Global Tussle over the Regulation of Accounting and Reporting by the Multinational Corporations, Critical Perspectives in Accounting (CPA) Conference, City University, New York, USA. (April).1989
- Rahman, S.F., International Accounting Policy Making by the United Nations: A Critical Analysis, Published in Peyvandi, A. and B. Tai (eds.), First Asian Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues, Fresno, California, USA (October).1989
INTERNATIONAL REFEREED CONFERENCE PUBLICATIONS:
- Rahman, S. F., 'Accounting for Invisibles in a Knowledge Economy: Challenges of the Economic Shift', Keynote speech at the 8th Beijing International Academic Conference, Beijing University, Beijing, China, October 8-11, 2008.2008
- Hossari, G., and Rahman, S.F., Predicting Corporate Collapse: A Critical Review of the Selection and Use of Financial variables and Ratios by Popular Prediction Models, Proceedings of the Second AGSE International Entrepreneurship Research Exchange, Melbourne, (February).2005
- Rahman, S.F., (with Masli, E.), Financing Start-up Companies: Private Vs. Public Sources of Funds, Proceedings of the Second AGSE International Entrepreneurship Research Exchange, Melbourne (February).2005
- Selvarajah, C., Masli, E., and Rahman, S. F., Ethnic Entrepreneurial Business Cluster Development: Chinatowns in Melbourne, Proceedings of the Second AGSE International Entrepreneurship Research Exchange, Melbourne, (February).2005
- Rahman, S. F., VCLP Reform Program and its Impact on Global venture Capital Investment in Australia. Proceedings of the AGSE-Babson Regional Entrepreneurship Research Exchange, Melbourne (February)2004
- Sharma, R, Jones, S. and Rahman, S.F., (2001), Management Control Over Human Capital, published in the CPA online, reviewed and refereed by the CPA Centre for Management Excellence, Melbourne, Australia, (November 2001).2001
- 1979 Socio-Economic Problems and Prospects of Rural Industries: a study of Some Rural Industries of Bangladesh, Research Monograph, sponsored by the University Grants Commission, Dhaka, Bangladesh.1979
- Accounting and Reporting by Transnational Corporations: A Global View of the regulatory regime, University of New South Wales Working Paper No. 1081991
- Rio' Earth Summit 1992 and Accounting Agenda 21, Monash University Working Paper #1 1994
NATIONAL and International SEMINAR PRESENTATIONS:
- Keynote Speaker - 8th China International Academic Conference for Universities, "Accounting for Invisibles in a Knowledge Economy: Challenges of the Economic Shift", Beijing, China, October 20082008
- Invited Guest Speaker - Dubai GCC Compliance Forum, “Corporate Governance and the Role of Enforcement Officers in the GCC Countries”, Dubai, UAE, December 20062006
- Deakin University, School of Accounting and finance, The Questionable Legacy and Legitimacy of the IASC as a Global Accounting standard-setter 1998
- 1993 Monash University, Syme Department of Accounting Seminar, Rio' Earth Summit 1992, and Accounting 'Agenda 21'.1993
- 1990 University of Waikato, Department of Accounting and Finance Seminar, Power and International Accounting regulation.1990
- 1989 University of New South Wales, School of Accounting Seminar,
Macquarie University, Department of Accounting and Financial Studies1989
- 1986 University of Manchester, Department of Accounting and Finance Seminar, International Accounting Regulation: A Critical Evaluation of OECD, IASC and the UN1986
Consultancy & Industry Experience
- Financial and tax consultants for SysConsult International, Softvision Systems, Shoei Metals, Melbourne, Australia
Membership of Professional Societies
- Full CPA Member (as FCPA)
- Member of American Accounting Association (AAA), Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFANZ), and Institute of Certified Management Accountants (CMA).
Areas of expertise and research interests
- Supervision of Doctoral students.
- Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting Interface.
- International Accounting Regulation.
- Economic and Political Impacts of International Accounting
- Islamic Finance as Alternative Financial System.
- Global Financial Crisis and Financial Accounting Regulation.
Areas of Teaching interests
- Managerial Accounting.
- Financial Accounting.
- Finance and Investment.
- International Accounting.
- International Finance.
- Venture Capital and Risk Management.